[WG: Sakai QA] [Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] sakai-2.6.3: test/recommend deployers useTomcat 5.5.28+?

csev csev at umich.edu
Tue Jun 29 06:13:18 PDT 2010

On Jun 29, 2010, at 5:20 AM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

> There is also the option of adjusting the Tomcat classloader configuration in conf/catalina.properties to restore the old common/lib, shared/lib behaviour:
> shared.loader=${catalina.base}/shared/classes,${catalina.base}/shared/lib/*.jar
>
> However, we would also need to be QA'ing against Tomcat 5.5 as well since some people might want to upgrade between 2.7 versions but not switch app servers.
>
> I would -1 moving to Tomcat 6 in a point release of 2.7 and rather it go to 2.8 since it is quite a disruptive change.

I would agree that we move to Tomcat 6 only in 2.8 (i.e. not in 2.7.n) - and in particular in 2.8 we stick with the old directory layout in Sakai 2.8 / Tomcat 6 using the parameter above (i.e. we do not change the deployment folder structure in 2.8) - if we later decide to go with a 2.8 deployment folder structure - we only do so *after* there is wide production experience with Sakai and T6 (i.e.change deployment patterns in 2.9 at the earliest).

I would also immediately switch the nightly servers of trunk/2.8/experimental to T6 with the above setting *right away* to give as much informal testing as we can muster in the run-up to 2.8

This gives us a way to do solid testing of T6 - with the ability to drop back to T5 if something comes up in 2.8 even rather late in the game.

/Chuck