[WG: Sakai QA] JIRA cleanup and stagnant issues

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Wed Feb 3 09:51:29 PST 2010

The maintenance team (MT) is currently in the process of a JIRA
cleanup as one of our first major tasks. The goal of this is to
identify issues that we should focus on and also to make JIRA easier
to work with and manage going forward. We are currently focusing on
the SAK space only.
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK

Part of this process is identifying issues that are currently assigned
to people which are not being worked on. This may include inactive
users (not currently working on Sakai) or dead issues (not being
worked on and no activity in months or years) or well meaning but
overloaded users.

We want to ask the community to please help us with this process and
unassign issues you are not currently working on. Users with a very
large (25+) number of issues assigned to them have been contacted
about this already by MT members and many have responded. If you have
not yet responded please try to do so this week. We would like to get
stagnant issues into the "unassigned" bucket so they they will be
reviewed by someone in the MT. If you are working on the issues or
plan to in the next 60 days please keep them assigned to yourself.
Issues which are assigned are not reviewed by the MT as the
implication is that they are being worked on.

We are trying to decide the best way to handle unresponsive users
(which may have moved on or no longer be checking email or working on
the project) and would like community feedback on the best way to
proceed. Some options are:
1) Unassign all issues assigned to unresponsive users early next week
2) Leave the issues assigned (this may result in these issues never
being worked on)
3) ??? (your idea here)

This is not a vote or a proposal. We are just looking for suggestions and ideas.
Thanks!
-AZ

--
Aaron Zeckoski (azeckoski (at) vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - University of Cambridge