[WG: Sakai QA] 2.7 webservice broken

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Wed Aug 4 23:08:52 PDT 2010

Maybe this issue is a victim of no two people having the same understanding of JIRA processes.

On this particular issue, the comments indeed have evidence of testing, in the form of "Confirmed fixed in trunk." So whether or not the testing was accurate or not, the branch manager followed the process correctly.

As it seems like an interesting debate, CC'ing the QA list.

Regards
Stephen

>>> Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> 8/5/2010 7:57 AM >>>
I'm alarmed by this and quite strongly disagree.

It's been said time and time again that one of the duties of a branch manager is to test every single thing that goes into that branch. It even says so here: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/Branch+Manager+Guidelines under 'When you have a fix you want to merge'.

Yes, there is a part that says "Verified should be ok to merge but check the comments for evidence... (of) testing", so read on.

So the issue had the merge status set and the branch manager picked it up. That doesn't mean it should be blindly committed without being tested first. Anyone could easily go into JIRA and update a closed issue to add a merge status for the branches. Under this process, a branch manager could come along and merge a fix that breaks things, simply because it wasn't tested. And this might not even be picked up until several tags later.

The branches need to be as stable as a rock, and that means testing everything before it's committed.

I'd be surprised if this position wasn't echoed by the QA team.

thanks,
Steve

On 05/08/2010, at 3:42 PM, Stephen Marquard wrote:

> From the issue change log, it appears it was created with a 2-7-x status field set to Merge. As it was then Resolved and later Closed by Sam Ottenhof, the branch manager (Jonathan Cook) in this case acted correctly in terms of process by merging it to 2-7-x.
>
> We cannot reasonably expect branch managers to do functional testing on changes that they merge - that's why the process is to merge Closed issues rather than Resolved issues, and to rely on developers to set the 2-6-x and 2-7-x status correctly in the first place.
>
> Regards
> Stephen

> Hi Dave,
>
> This http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18776 should never have been merged to 2.7.
>
> It's also obvious that this wasn't tested before being committed which is worrying. If it was, it would be clear that it didn't compile.  Perhaps we need to send out a reminder that all changes in a branch must be thoroughly tested before being committed?
>
> I'll fix this.
>
> cheers,
>

> On 04/08/2010, at 11:26 PM, David Horwitz wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> It seems compilation of SakaiScript is broken in 2.7. It seems that a number of issues related to:
>>
>> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-428
>>
>> Have been merged to 2.7 but KNL-428 is not in the latest 1.1 kernel (it was never flagged for inclusion). It seems we either have to:
>>
>> 1) Revert the WS merges
>> 2) Merge KNL-428 and release a new kernel
>>

>> Advice?

> ###
> UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
>
> This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 4500. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.
>
> ###

###