[WG: Sakai QA] Sakai Conversion testing

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Apr 29 08:36:09 PDT 2010

So just a followup from the call re: conversions.

We need to run the conversions before the move to RC. Either Anthony and/or
myself will be able to do this next week. The verification will happen by:

(Conversion script verification)
1) Installing the latest 2.6 release (2.6.2) with auto.ddl=true. This needs
to be done on both oracle and mysql.
  - DB2 does not appear to have a complete conversion script and I don't
have access to test this. DB2 will not hold up the RC.
2) Run the conversion script rollups:
"sakai_2_7_0_oracle_conversion.sql" sakai_2_7_0_mysql_conversion.sql"
  - Note any errors (if any) that occur while running the script
3) Attempt to start up Sakai 2.7-beta with auto.ddl=false. Note any database
error (if any) when starting up

(Table structure verification)
4) On the converted databases, run a tool to export the DDL of the tables,
sequences.
  -  It seems like SQL Developer will work for this.
5) Start up the 2.7-beta instance with auto.ddl=true on an empty database
6) On the 2.7 database, run the same tool to export the DDL
7) Compare the resulting SQL files, noting any differences. If any are found
these will need to be jira'd and added to the conversion script.

Followup: Ideally if there are any missing conversions found in any part of
the process these steps will need to be repeated with the updated conversion
script.

Additional details will follow.

Currently known missing conversion.

This should not be a blocker for RC, but I might elevate it's priority and
consider it a 'need to be fixed' for the final 2.7.0 release. This will not
be able to be written as a simple SQL conversion script and will need some
code to process this, so might be 2-3 weeks to get around to fixing it)

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18406 (Create a migration script to
get older announcement data updated with new implementation of
assignment/announcement integration)