[WG: Sakai QA] high priority UI issues

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Thu Oct 29 07:33:57 PDT 2009

Anthony Whyte suggested that I should include this list on something
I've sent to the dev list.

I realize it's late for 2.7, but there are a few areas causing us so
much trouble with users that I'd like to find a way to prioritize
them. I'm sure others might have different priorities, but mine are

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17273  - assignment tool
losing assignments; because of the way uploads are done, there's an
extra level of interaction that confuses users. They think they've
finished when they haven't. The result is faculty telling us that a
student reports they've submitted an assignment but Sakai has lost it.
We ended up building a screen that finds all attachments submitted for
an assignment, even if the assignment wasn't submitted. This allows
faculty to find the missing assignments. However they would clearly
prefer not to have them missing in the first place.

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17270 - tests and quizes
losing submissions. This one just became clear to me yesterday, after
processing the Nth report from a student claiming he had submitted an
assessment when he hadn't. The final confirmation screen is probably
the wrong design. We actually asked for this. Students had been doing
"submit for grading" without intending it. As a local patch we added a
Javascript confirmation box "are you sure". Stanford agreed, but
turned it into a normal screen. The problem is that if students don't
read the screen carefully (and many don't) they think the extra screen
is the final submit confirmation. So we have otherwise good students
telling faculty that they submitted something they didn't, and faculty
believing that Sakai is losing submissions. We have a workaround for
this as well: we have a way to recover all the data for assessments
that weren't submitted. I think the best approach is to go back to the
Javascript confirmation box. Students are used to confirmation boxes,
and are unlikely to confuse an "are you sure" popup with having
finished.

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17271 and http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17272
.  Together these deal with the continuing complaints we get that OSP
is too complex to use. In 2.6 work was done on the generation of
portfolios to help that end. We need similar work on the data entry
side.