[WG: Sakai QA] Samigo 2.7 changes (svn update)

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Wed Nov 4 13:32:58 PST 2009

The Samigo team at Stanford kindly permitted me to rework their
project POM files and write an assembly module so that Samigo (e.g.
Test and Quizzes) can be released independently of Sakai 2.7+
releases.  Phase I of this work is now complete and the first batch of
Samigo 2.7.0-SNAPSHOT artifacts (including a signed samigo-audio jar)
now reside in our Maven2 snapshot repo and are downloaded and deployed
to Tomcat whenever you build and deploy Sakai trunk code.

WHAT'S CHANGED

Samigo is no longer included in trunk .externals or listed explicitly
as a <module> in the default and experimental profiles in the Sakai
base pom.  So if you perform a full checkout of Sakai trunk, Samigo
trunk code will not be downloaded; likewise, if you build Sakai trunk
and deploy it to Tomcat, any Samigo trunk code that you might add to
your Sakai source will be excluded from the build (unless you first
clean and install /sam).  Instead, and in line with other projects
scheduled for independent release (e.g., common, edu-services,
entitybroker, msgcntr, etc.), Samigo artifacts will now be downloaded,
installed in your local repo and deployed to Tomcat automatically
(including snapshot updates) whenever you issue the standard maven
build directives against trunk code:

mvn clean install sakai:deploy
or
mvn -Pexperimental clean install sakai:deploy

All this occurs as a result of the inclusion of the core-deploy pom as
a <module> in the Sakai base pom default and experimental profiles.
core-deploy adds a number of assembly dependencies to the build
process, each of which provides a "tomcat overlay" zip file that
distributes each project's artifacts to their appointed place in
Tomcat (e.g., components, shared/lib, webapps).

TRUNK DEVELOPERS

1. Trunk refresh.  Please perform an svn update or a fresh checkout of
trunk to pick up these changes.

2. .m2 repo.  Strictly speaking, you do not need to clean out the
samigo directories in your local .m2/org/sakaiproject repo since I
have revised the Samigo maven coordinates (e.g., <groupId>,
<artifactId) and the new samigo artifacts will be located under a
single /samigo folder instead of their current multi-folder location s
(e.g., sam-base, sakai-samigo-*).  However, I have not changed the
Samigo snapshot version (currently 2.7.0-SNAPSHOT) and your old .m2
sam-base and sakai-samigo-* folders will contain out-of-date and
stranded 2.7.0-SNAPSHOT artifacts.  I recommend deleting these old
artifacts.  A clean .m2 repo is always preferred.

WARNING (SAMIGO DEVELOPERS)

If you do development against Samigo trunk you will need to check out
the project separately in order to work with the source code.  A
standard Sakai trunk checkout no longer suffice.

svn co https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sam/trunk samigo-trunk

You can test your samigo changes locally by performing a mvn clean
install against your local repo before deploying to Tomcat.  SVN
commits to samigo trunk will NOT be reflected in the snapshot
artifacts until a refresh occurs.  At the moment this involves
shouting at me to pick up the fixes and refresh the repo.  Within the
next couple of weeks the snapshot refresh process will be automated
once I deploy a Hudson build server (server only now made available).

WORK REMAINING TO BE COMPLETED

1. Drop in the release plugin.  A formality at this point.
2. Eliminate a large number of declared but unused dependencies
associated with a "standalone" version of Samigo that is no longer
relevant.  I'm working on that now.  This should shrink the size of
the tomcat-overlay zip file.
3. Beef up reporting, documentation and a site skin in support of a
Samigo automated Maven site deployment.
4. Release Samigo 2.7.0-alpha01.

JIRA TRACKING (so far)

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17334