[WG: Sakai QA] 2.7.0 update: 12 Nov 2009 trunk freeze on new features (proposal)

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Wed Nov 4 11:34:47 PST 2009

Last week I polled project teams individually relative to my proposal
to move forward from the first week of December to 12 November 2009 a
2.7.0 new features freeze date.  The freeze date would apply to Sakai
trunk projects destined for 2.7.0 (e.g., announcements, assignments,
chat, rwiki, etc.) that are not slated for independent release.  The
freeze date would also not apply to projects under consideration by
the product council for inclusion in 2.7.0 (e.g., basiclti, profile2,
sitestats, etc.), all of which are slated for independent release as
well.

GOALS

1. establish project team consensus relative to a freeze date
2. accelerate, if possible, the creation of a 2.7.x branch
3. generate as soon as possible a 2.7.0-m01 milestone tag for
deployment to 2.7 QA servers at UvA, UCT and Marist (and hopefully
elsewhere)
4. get testable artifacts into the hands of QA now rather than later

I plan to generate the 2.7.0-m01 milestone tag on 12 November and
thereafter generate follow up with milestone/alpha/beta/rc tags every
7-10 days until 2.7.0 is released.   A freeze on i18n language bundles
would occur later (Beth Kirschner recommends mid-January 2010).  Bug
fixes can continue to flow from trunk into 2.7.x unhindered until we
decide that cutting a 2.7.0 release candidate is warranted (i.e.,
alpha/beta tags indicate that the bug rate is declining).  Thereafter
bug fixes will be triaged (e.g., blockers, critical fixes get priority).

Projects teams planning independent releases will be encouraged to
begin producing stable releases of their code as soon as is possible
so that they can be included in the milestone releases of 2.7.0.

It is anticipated that 2.7.0 will be released in the latter part of Q1
2010, dependent as always on the elimination of blocker and critical
issues.  I recommend that as a Community we work to ensure that 2.7.0
is released on time so that follow up maintenance releases can occur
between May-August in order to support deployers.

POLL RESULTS

+1.  So far no project team or lead has objected to my proposed
feature freeze date (tally below).  There are a few projects I have
not polled, none of which I believe have any feature changes that
impinge on 2.7.0.

OBJECTIONS

If anyone objects to a feature freeze on trunk code commencing 12
November 2009 please reply to the list stating your objections.
Otherwise, I plan to create the 2.7.x branch on 12 November 2009 and
generate a milestone tag.

Cheers,

Anth

2.7 NEW FEATURE FREEZE DATE 12 NOV 2009 PROPOSAL

  +1

access (Eng, UMich)
announcement (Prakash, Silver, UMich)
assignment (Qian, UMich)
	intends to address SAK-17273 for 2.7
calendar (Kirschner, UMich)
calendar-summary (Fernandes, UFP)
chat (Maurer, IU)
config (Whyte, SF/UMich)
content tool (Eng, Silver, UMich)
dav (Hedrick, Rutgers)
gradebook (Wagner, IU)
	commits planned to address SAK-15311 (but also see Gradebook 2 below)
linktool (Hedrick, Rutgers)
mailarchive (Jones, UMich)
metaobj (Kirschner, Botimer, UMich)
osp (Kirschner, Botimer, UMich)
	two sets of new osp features for 2.7: Collaborative portfolios and IU
Matrix enhancements
podcasts (Thomas, Wagner, Wang, IU)
portal (Speelmon, IU)
postem (Wagner, IU)
providers (Theriault, Columbia, McCallum, Unicon)
	commits planned to address SAK-10227 and possibly SAK-16816,
SAK-10025 for 2.7
reset-pass (Horwitz, UCT)
roster (Thomas, IU)
	 commits planned to address SAK-14743 and SAK-14744 for 2.7
rwiki (Prakash, Silver, UMich)
site-manage
syllabus (Nguyen, Thomas, Wagner, Wang, IU)
textarea (Ryan)
velocity (Silver, UMich)
was (Luong, IBM)
webservices (Swinsburg)
	commits planned a few new webservices for 2.7
usermembership (Fernanades, UFP)

AWAITING REPLY

admin tools: alias, authz, memory, tool, site, user
blog (Fish) -- as I recall Adrian wanted to replace blog was a new
implementation
citations (Smail, IU, Eng UMich)
presence (Marquard, IU)
web content (IU, UMich, etc.)

NOT POLLED

courier
help
jobscheduler
jsf
login
mailtool (stealthed in 2.6)
message
presentation (stealthed in 2.6)
profile
reference
reports
rights
sakai-mock
samples
taggable
warehouse

INDEPENDENT RELEASE CANDIDATES
(not subject to 12 Nov freeze date)

common (archive, common, edu-person, import, manager, privacy, type)
edu-services (cm-service, gradebook-service, sections-service)
content-review
emailtemplateservice
entitybroker
msgcntr
polls
samigo
search

ADDITIONAL CAPABILITIES -- INCLUSION SUBJECT TO PC APPROVAL
(not subject to 12 Nov freeze date)

BasicLTI
Conditional release
Profile2/TinyURLService
SiteStats
Gradebook2 (the GB2 team would like to update the shared gradebook
data model so that schools who choose to run GB2 can run it without
recourse to patching)