[WG: Sakai QA] Sakai-2.6.0-rc04 - Update - 25/May/09

Pete Peterson plpeterson at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 26 00:31:19 PDT 2009

Greetings,

Thanks to everyone for their help and efforts. So we are minimizing the issues with every release. This tag, rc04 looks very good and though there maybe rc05, we feel confident that the final release will be released in early June. The QA administrators are currently installing this tag and it should be available soon, if not already.

As always we are asking for help in testing and confirming the integrity of the Sakai 2.6.0 release. In addition we will be sending out several specific testing requests in the next few days outlining the final testing resources needed and any additional tasks needed prior to the official release.

Here's some general information:

Things to remember

*         Sakai Jira Guidelines<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/MGT/Sakai+Jira+Guidelines> -  good information on all Sakai reporting including QA

*         When you confirm the jiras you will need to change the 2.5.x status to "Closed". Doing this allows the issues to display correctly in the 2.5.4 filters.

*         Report findings on the confluence reporting pages. Brief and clear is perfect, with a reference to the jira or module as needed, e.g.; SAK-XXXXX verified.

*         If you come across a "new" bug do the following:

o   Search jira for an existing or similar bug

o   Create a new jira entry for the bug

o   Annotate the confluence page to reflect your findings

QA Reporting Lexicon (new)
I would like to suggest adopting a standard lexicon of QA terms to be used in jiras and when report results. The following are suggested terminology and definitions:

*         QA SUMMARY - summary of testing plan, OS tested, instance tested on, browser, etc.

*         QA RESULTS - detailed results on the testing

*         QA UFO - Unexpected Functional Oddity: strange anomalies that are not bugs, but perhaps should be addressed or investigated

*         QA VERIFIED - Issues is verified and passes QA, comments

*         QA UNVERIFIED -could not verify because it is not testable or failed QA, comments

Example:
QA SUMMARY
* Sakai QA Network qa5-us (svn tags/sakai-2.6.0-rc01) using Oracle - Built: 12/23/08 22:18 - Sakai sakai-2.6.0-rc01 - Server: tartar, QS: MS Vista, Browser: Firefox and IE7
QA RESULTS
* Fix performed as expected...
QA VERIFIED
* Passed QA testing

QA Checklist and Release Schedule

*         2.6.0 Release Changes - This site has the list of jiras related to new functionality and features in 2.6.0. testing results can be reviewed here as well.

*         Sakai 2.6.0 Release<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/REL/Sakai+2.6> - this page shows the status of the release and related links to documentation.

Current 2.6.0 RC status follows below
=============================

Sakai 2.6.0 Tentative Schedule

*         2.6.0-rc04 or Final Release - 23/May/09 - TENTATIVE

~        Cut and available for QA and early adopters

~        Loaded on QA servers and update test servers<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/ZT8> page QA testing

~        List of updates in this release: http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK/fixforversion/11500

*         2.6.0-rc05 or Final Release - Early June - TENTATIVE

2.6.0 General Release Information

*         This release includes over 700 bug fixes and many enhancements, see Sakai 2.6 Overview<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/REL/Sakai+2.6+Overview> for more information.

*         Sakai 2.6 Overview<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/2QA2Aw>: on 29-Apr-2009 Peter A. Knoop<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/~knoop> presented an overview of the changes and enhancements in the Sakai 2.6.0 release, relative to Sakai 2.5; PowerPoint slides available.

Disclaimer: testing a release candidate can sometimes reveal new blockers and depending on the nature and severity we may need to adjust the schedule accordingly.  The final release may be delayed until these significant issues are resolved.

Regards,

Pete Peterson
QA Director, Sakai Foundation
plpeterson at ucdavis.edu<mailto:plpeterson at ucdavis.edu>