[WG: Sakai QA] Sakai-2.6.0-rc02 - Update - 05/May/09

Pete Peterson plpeterson at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 5 16:41:27 PDT 2009

Greetings Sakai colleagues,

We'd like to take a slightly different tact on this update.

First, thanks to everyone for their help and efforts so far; we are getting very close to a solid release.

Second, we'd like propose a different approach to how release schedules are viewed. In the past we have tried to set firm dates for releases inevitably slip and slide. Much of this is just the nature of the beast, as major blockers and critical issues arise they must be address and tested which of course delays the release. I am sure none of this comes as a shock to anyone, but hopefully this realistic approach, focusing less on dates and more on the progress, will help clarify and improve the release process.

Here are the basics for the remaining 2.6.0 RC schedule:

*         An RC tag will be cut every Friday or before as needed.

*         Each following Friday another RC tag or the Final release will be cut depending on new issues that may arise from testing and resolution of remaining blockers from the prior release tag.

*         This repeating schedule should provide a solid foundation for QA Server administrators updating their test instances and QA testers and developers scheduling time for their efforts.

Note: This is a small part of a rethinking effort on how we manage and coordinate releases.

Current 2.6.0 RC status follows below
=============================

Sakai 2.6.0 Tentative Schedule

*         2.6.0-rc02 - 01/May/09

~        Cut and available for QA and early adopters - COMPLETE

~        Loaded on QA servers and update test servers<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/ZT8> page - IN PROGRESS

~        QA testing - ONGOING

~        List of updates in this release: http://jira.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK/fixforversion/11486

*         2.6.0-rc03 - 08/May/09 - SCHEDULED

~        Cut and available for QA and early adopters

~        Loaded on QA servers and update test servers<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/ZT8> page QA testing

~        List of updates in this release: http://jira.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK/fixforversion/11489

*         2.6.0-rc04 or Final Release - 15/May/09 - TENTATIVE

*         2.6.0-rc05 or Final Release - 22/May/09 - TENTATIVE

2.6.0 General Release Information

*         This release includes over 700 bug fixes and many enhancements, see Sakai 2.6 Overview<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/REL/Sakai+2.6+Overview> for more information.

*         Sakai 2.6 Overview<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/2QA2Aw>: on 29-Apr-2009 Peter A. Knoop<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/~knoop> presented an overview of the changes and enhancements in the Sakai 2.6.0 release, relative to Sakai 2.5; PowerPoint slides available.

Disclaimer: testing a release candidate can sometimes reveal new blockers and depending on the nature and severity we may need to adjust the schedule accordingly.  The final release may be delayed until these significant issues are resolved.

Regards,

Pete Peterson
QA Director, Sakai Foundation
plpeterson at ucdavis.edu<mailto:plpeterson at ucdavis.edu>