[WG: Sakai QA] Request for inclusion in 2.6.1: SAK-16416

Michael Korcuska mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org
Fri Jun 5 08:42:55 PDT 2009

I think this is a good topic for the project planning meetings at the
conference. One comment inline.
On Jun 5, 2009, at 17:37, Stephen Marquard wrote:

> I'm not convinced that the "selective component" approach to
> maintenance releases is really useful. To me it adds a lot of
> complexity, and means that the maintenance releases bear no
> resemblance to the 2-6-x branches that people are running in
> production. It's confusing when an issue is fixed in the maintenance
> branch but not in a release which post-dates the fix.
>
> I would rather see the testing happen as and when issues are moved
> into the 2-6-x branch, so that it's safe to release a 2.6.x from the
> maintenance branch at any time.

I'm not sure this is realistic, actually. Some degree of testing is
needed on the tag to make sure it is working. I'd be interested in
opinions as to how little regression testing we can do to still have
confidence that nothing has broken (or, rather, the risk is very small).

> The only exception to this IMO should be security releases, which
> are strictly the last .x release plus the security fixes, so that
> they can be done immediately.
>
> Also in general I think we'd be better off putting effort into
> building more automated tests than trying to get a diffuse pool of
> volunteers to do more regression testing to a release schedule.

Agreed, but efforts to this end have borne limited fruit thus far.