[WG: Sakai QA] Request for inclusion in 2.6.1: SAK-16416

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Fri Jun 5 06:06:44 PDT 2009

This raises the question of issue targeting again. We have a number
of issues fixed and verified that we would like to defer beyond
2.6.0, but don't have anything aside from the comments to denote
that. We have tried multiple approaches and found additional fields
to be confusing or ineffective.

My confusion is that the issue is Closed, fixed in trunk, and marked
Merge for 2.6.x, but we're putting an indefinite hold on known,
desired action. How do we deal with this conflicting information,
find the issue later, and know what to do then?

Should we be marking v.next items when they come up? Specifically,
should these items be marked as 2.6.1 [Tentative] as well as 2.7.0
[Tentative] and left as Open or Resolved until merged into the
destinations?

Should we also take better advantage of the "release branch" idea?
That is, we have a 2.6.0 branch made already (as of moving to Release
Candidate) to allow for exactly this kind of thing, where we can
"open up" 2.6.x  for immediate merges and pluck the few that taint an
RC into 2.6.0.

My apologies if this is misguided, redundant, or naive. I just have a
perpetually hard time reconciling real practice with the guidelines
in Confluence. It's hard for me to know if there is work people
expect me to do and the right steps to follow if there is. I will
gladly welcome comments or guidance.

Thanks,
-Noah

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/CSE