[WG: Sakai QA] [Building Sakai] jQuery 1.1.4 > 1.3.2 Upgrade for 2.7?

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 15 17:56:42 PDT 2009

Can educated guesses be made about the kinds of problems that might
result, such that a credible test plan could be devised?  Perhaps even
checking sets of pages with firebug? I'm not even sure if any tools
exercise jQuery - or is it just the portal in general?

It sounds like a good idea to upgrade, but maybe the best thing to do
is to do it in trunk Real Soon Now, starting the QA more or less
immediately rather than waiting for some freeze date.  Hunting down JS
bugs just seems like the kind of thing that calls for time and
attention.

~Clay

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Eli Cochran<eli at media.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Every time that I notice that the Portal is using jQuery 1.1.4, I cringe.
> This version, while very stable, is very old (August 2007). The current
> version is 1.3.2 released in Feb 2009. This version is also very stable and
> much, much faster.
> I'd like to suggest that we upgrade to 1.3.2 for 2.7. By the time there may
> be jQuery 1.4 or even the mythical jQuery 2.0 but even 1.3.2 would be a huge
> step forward.
> There is usually a fair amount of backwards compatibility in jQuery.
> However, this is a big jump and I suspect that there will be some
> issues. I'm happy to take responsibility for any portal problems that
> emerge.
> The bigger issue is what to do with bugs that come up in tools that might be
> utilizing /library/js/jquery.js. That is a bigger risk.
> Any thoughts?
> - Eli
>              .
> Eli Cochran