[WG: Sakai QA] UCT production updates: JDK 1.6, Tomcat 5.5.28, mysql 5.1

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Wed Dec 23 06:48:48 PST 2009

Hi all,

In news from the trenches, UCT has recently updated our production 2-6-x system to JDK 1.6, Tomcat 5.5.28 and mysql 5.1.41.

The only hitch we encountered was postem which failed under Tomcat 5.5.28. This has now been resolved by merging

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-9441

to the 2-6-x branch.

We also ran into a mysql bug in 5.1.36 on a test server, so if you're moving to 5.1, we'd suggest the very latest version.

As mysql 5.1 supports using the query cache with server-side prepared statements, we have also changed our connector configuration to use server-side prepared statements with these parameters:

useServerPrepStmts=true&cachePrepStmts=true&prepStmtCacheSize=4096&prepStmtCacheSqlLimit=4096

Apparently this can be good for performance (and reduces network traffic slightly).

Happy holidays all.

Regards
Stephen