[WG: Sakai QA] [Building Sakai] Jira process clarification and modification - "Target Version"

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Fri Aug 21 07:04:59 PDT 2009

I'd like to see the target version restored for planning, scheduling
and as an indicator of where finished/fixed code needs to be merged
(rather than the current custom *.x status dropdowns).  This would be
coupled with a revised status workflow that would include steps
resembling the following:

___________________

Open

Work in progress ("in progress" does exist)
Work suspended
Work resumed [perhaps redundant, just reset to "work in progress" if
previously suspended]

[Review requested
Review started
Review completed]  [perhaps a set of "review" phase statuses is
overkill (could be construed as part of "work" above) but then
again . . .]

Testing requested
Testing started
Testing completed

Merge requested (this step might involve merging to multiple branches)
Merge started  [not sure we'd ever use this one]
Merge completed

Closed [means done, fini, for the history books, all workflow actions
completed, time for a Theakston's Old Peculiar or sleep]

Reopened

________________________

The K2 team has developed a set of workflow statuses similar to this
and I like how they are approaching the challenge of tracking tasks
through their life cycle; although I should note that they do not use
a target version.

So restore the target version, revise the 2.x workflow, eliminate the
custom *.x branch status fields -- made redundant by restoration of
target version and revised workflow statuses and continue work on
streamlining and simplifying as much as is possible our issue tracking
workflows.

By the way, it's not hard to check the change history to check the
workflow on an issue and ensure that, for example testing has been
completed before a branch manager or myself honor a merge request but
I'd need the target version set correctly to know where I should merge
the code (acknowledging of course that it's usually obvious) without
those pesky custom *.x status dropdowns (which I would like to see
eliminated).  Alongside this the assignee could/should be updated to
reflect the person/team responsible for a given phase of work.  Megan
I believe has configured IU's Jira to list multiple assignees--
something else to look at.

Finally, we should create a Jira cheat sheet so that people who use
Sakai's issue tracking system can quickly get themselves up to speed
on how it all works.

Cheers,

Anth