[WG: Sakai QA] Release meeting tentative agenda

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 3 09:46:58 PDT 2009

As promised, below is a tentative agenda for the first release
planning meeting this week. The phone call is scheduled during the
usual QA/release meeting slot on Thursday [1], but part of the point
of posting a tentative agenda now is to kick off the discussion
on-list so that those who can't make the call can still follow along
and weigh in. By the same token, reports will also come out after
these meetings with proposals (i.e. rather than having hard decisions
made on the call) for further comment.

1) The main item of business is a first round of triage, first to
settle on which portions of work should be routed to the product
council (PC), and second to identify documentation needs, etc. for the
remaining portions of new development work. I've tried to get the ball
rolling by starting with the list of JIRAs Peter Knoop compiled in
June, adding in a few extras, and then doing rough clumping by my
first impression of degree of user impact [2].  For good measure I've
also tacked on a list of new tools or significant new capabilities,
since the discussion might urge shifting items up or down, but the
basic idea is that the significant new capabilities will go to the
product council, and will generally be on a post-2.7 track (though
there may be exceptions that will emerge in discussion).  Additions to
that page and comments are very welcome.

My proposal will be that we (myself, the release team and other
volunteers) then focus on the "high user impact" items first, look to
see that we understand them, what remaining documentation each of them
needs for QA (and end-users, where appropriate), etc., and use that to
begin to lay the groundwork of an achievable RM/QA plan by the end of
2009.

2) I hope that we'll recruit the commitment of a branch manager by the
end of this meeting, but failing that we'll identify next steps for
doing so.

3) The release team will need to lead a discussion (and submit a
proposal) for how it will recruit new members and organize itself.

4) I imagine we'll also discuss some of the procedural details more
closely, and refine what I floated earlier [3]

Questions, complaints, thought-provocation welcome.

~Clay

[1] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/KIGTAQ
[2] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/j4LgAw
[3] http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A--Building-Sakai---Management--Release-Process-Proposal-p24764366.html