[WG: Sakai QA] [Building Sakai]KNL-155/SAK-16036/SAK-800:Resources archive filehandling issues

Adams, David da1 at vt.edu
Mon Apr 20 09:44:42 PDT 2009

The problem with properties like these is that they never quite tend to
go away, or if they do disappear from the code, they hang out in the
production properties file where no one wants to make a change that
isn't well understood.  The stealth tools list is a little different, in
that it can be used to hide tools that may be production-ready, but
aren't something we want users to be able to add themselves.

Back to the point: IMO, properties that toggle features should be clear
and specific in their naming and those names should stay stable across
versions of Sakai. Further, the right way to deploy "experimental"
features (in other words, not well-tested) is to deploy a different
build of the tool with those features. "Experimental" code should not be
in the release. If it's too difficult to back this one out before 2.6.0
final, then I think there should be a plan for either completing or
removing the relevant code for 2.6.1. Leaving in something half-complete
is just begging for trouble and confusion later.

David Adams