[WG: Sakai QA] [Building Sakai] KNL-155/SAK-16036/SAK-800: Resources archive filehandling issues

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 17 19:06:53 PDT 2009

Anthony Whyte wrote:

> Using properties to mask or otherwise hide incomplete or
> problematic code (see SAK-800) is not ideal.  However, given
> that at least one institution, Oxford, is comfortable using
> the code as is, renders problematic the simple and
> straightforward expedient of commenting out the
> functionality and forcing them into hack mode when
> implementing 2.6.0 or 2.6.x.

I think that the "properties" approach sets an extremely bad
precedent. Broken and incomplete code should NEVER be
knowingly released, plain and simple.

Apologies to Oxford, but if they are "comfortable" with
something that almost everyone is agreed is broken, they
should continue to patch it in until it gets in workable
condition and others start to adopt. That's what being on the
bleeding edge is all about.

Seth