[WG: Sakai QA] SAK-800 Zip files in Resources

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Sat Apr 4 06:57:32 PDT 2009

This is very timely. I actually brought this one up in a conversation
last night about a good feature that didn't quite get finished. I
didn't possibly think that it could have slipped into a release, but
Noah had mentioned that he thought it did. I don't think that there's
any way in it's current state that this patch is ready to be in a
release of sakai as there were still too many issues and cases that
didn't quite work with it. We tried it in test at UoM last summer but
it never made it into production. It is a *great* feature to have
though as it is the best alternative to get lots of content in without
webdav (which can be occasionally unreliable depending on platform),
however the specific things that I remember:

- There is no feedback to the user when anything goes bad, as the link
appears on resources that you don't have permission to (this could be
checked in FolderCompressAction) and there was an NPE as indicated on
the jira.
- No solution to extracting files that already exist
- If the zip file or direction is large, the extraction/compression
might take a long time and the UI blocked interaction rather than back
grounding it. An alternative would be to have it check sizes in
advance. I think I even tested a zip file containing 5K small files
and it took almost 5 minutes to uncompress.
- I wasn't sure if compressing large files ran into memory errors or
not, some of these edge cases should be tested.
- I don't think I tested what happens if the file isn't a real zip
file but named .zip. There's no error messages shown by the tool, so
I'd hope some warning is dumped to the logs. More errors in general
need to be show to the user.

I know that it could be disabled in the UI, you'd just have to wrap up
the actions in FileUploadType/FolderType
 actions.put(ResourceToolAction.EXPAND_ZIP_ARCHIVE, new
FileUploadExpandAction());

I don't know if we'd want to wrap these up with a use settable
property or completely comment them down in code. I do use this
feature patched in locally often on test machines to test some patches
we have and would be nice to see it working.

-Matthew