[sakai-pmc] Google Summer of Code 2015

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Tue Feb 17 15:53:44 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Seth Theriault <slt at columbia.edu> wrote:

> We have some existing GSoC confluence pages that we have used for
> years past that I intend to copy/update for 2015 use. Be on the
> lookout for a place to update with ideas.

I have created a 2015 page based on those used in the past:

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/Google+Summer+of+Code+2015+ideas+list

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE, somebody help put this into better shape.
Google suggests KDE as an example per:

https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page#3._What_is_an_Ideas_list

In addition, we are going to need answers to the following questions
for the application itself:

- If you chose "veteran" in the checkbox, please summarize your
involvement in Google Summer of Code and the successes and challenges
of your participation. Please also list your pass/fail rate for each
year.
- Why is your organization applying to participate in Google Summer of
Code 2015? What do you hope to gain by participating?
- How many potential mentors do you have for this year's program? What
criteria did you use to select them?
- What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
- What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
- What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
project's community before and during the program?
- What will you do to encourage your accepted students to stick with
the project after Google Summer of Code concludes?

Any input you have is appreciated.

Keep in mind that we were rejected in 2013 and never applied in 2014
due to lack of interest.

Seth