[sakai-pmc] Interesting question on Software development lifecycle

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Fri Oct 10 10:39:01 PDT 2014

Hi PMC,

I thought this might be of interest to the PMC. If not, I'll write
something up myself to send, no worries.

We received the following question through our web site:

"Hi There,

We are already using Sakai in our college. I would like to know which
SDLC/SE
model SAKAI is using. Is it Water fall?
Your help is important to me. Please do reply.

Thanks in Advance"

I assume SDLC = Software Development Life Cycle.  Not sure what "/SE" means.

I don't see our community as following a strict waterfall or agile
methodology. For a major, not maintenance release, I think instead of
trying to pigeonhole us into a methodology I might describe how we use a
community wiki for our scope definition and refinement, created a schedule
that allows plenty of time for iterative bug fixes and translations into
many languages, and then a final round of quality assurance testing
followed by packaging the software into convenient forms for download.

How does that sound?

Thanks,
Neal Caidin
Sakai Community Coordinator