[sakai-pmc] Executive Summary Sakai 10

Scott Siddall siddall at longsight.com
Thu May 22 07:25:34 PDT 2014

“…outside of our community messages go around that say Sakai is dead.”

That was on the EDUCAUSE CIO list, arguably one of the most widely read
lists in the campus CIO community.   The message was refuted a little bit
and wasn’t from a credible source anyway, so no, the Sakai sky isn’t
falling and Neal’s right that we shouldn’t be alarmist about it.

OTOH, the Sakai community has to be proactive because campus leaders are
under constant pressure to embrace the newest, greatest, trendy best.   If
faculty or CIOs sense that Sakai isn’t the best, or is dying, or they don’t
understand why their campus is using Sakai, they will (and should) look
again at the market.

Neal shouldn’t feel that he has to apologize for market speak.   I have
academic DNA too, and have lived on both sides of this issue, but someone
other than a vendor has to get the word out not that Sakai isn’t dead
(geez…that’s awful), and explain WHY higher ed should care about Sakai.

Sakai’s ten years old.   On average, that’s three times longer than the
tenure of the average CIO.   Does the current crop of CIOs get it?

            Scott