[sakai-pmc] Unused code in edu-services

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Mar 13 06:58:05 PDT 2014

All the code you referenced in this ticket are unit tests that no longer
work. They were excluded by the parent poms so weren't actually built. I
quickly fixed them up, added them so they were built and saw they failed
their tests. So I removed them again. I'm don't put fixing these at higher
a priority over all of the other items outstanding that could worked at in
Sakai at the moment, one month before release.

However if someone ever was looking to improve the unit tests here, these
seem like a great place to start for these modules. Removing the code means
that nobody will *ever* find them, and have to start from scratch. I'd
personally prefer to have some starting reference point I can build off of
and improve, especially with tests. Having another test directory there
that is unused is the same to me as having a PDF document there that's
never read, unused forever. And there's a few of those in the checkout
(reference) also that are also out of date.

This goes back to more of a philosophical view perhaps. Whether someone has
the belief that it's better to clean up and delete anything that is out of
date, incorrect or not working. Or whether to just leave it as-is because
having something there is better than nothing. This has parallels to PMC
discussions on confluence cleanup. I personally am of the opinion of
leaving outdated and incorrect information and later trying to work through
it to help me figure out my problem, then improving the incorrect
information that's there. I figure that it has to have worked and been
correct sometime, but the passage of time seems to break all old software.
I've seen this way too often. Though you might get 50/50 responses from
asking people their opinions which way to go. :)