[sakai-pmc] Status of Sakai 10.0

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Jun 25 06:45:39 PDT 2014

Hi Sakai core team and PMC,

As far as I am aware, if Matt and Earle have time later today to release
Sakai 10.0 for release (GA or general availability), they will.

I see 3 blocker issues, but I believe they are all administrative and
are to be part of the process of releasing [1] , perhaps with one
exception. We had neo-portal chat off by default (per community
decision) but a Jira fix for neo-portal turned portal chat on by
default. We will turn it off again for the release [2].

I would anticipate that the first announcement of the release will go to
the technical lists. Then we need a little time to clean up final
documentation, and it is probably not a bad idea to have a day for devs
to have a chance to download the Sakai 10.0 tag and check it out, as a
final release QA check point (download, compile, etc.).

Assuming everything goes as anticipated I see something like:

* Wednesday (today), this afternoon or evening, 10.0 tag is cut.
Announcement to the technical lists (sakai-dev, sakai-qa, etc)
* Thursday - one day "burn in". Chance to complete and review
documentation. Additional eyes on the tag looking for any egregious
problems.
* Friday - announce the release to the community.

How does that sound?

FYI, discussions are being led by Ian D. to come up with an outreach
plan to reach outside of our community. Being looked at for timing to
have the maximum impact. Yeah!

Cheers,
Neal

[1] administrative blocker issues -
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/issues/?jql=category%20%3D%20Sakai%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker)%20and%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved

[2] neo portal chat needs to be off by default -

Neal Caidin
Sakai Community Coordinator
Apereo Foundation
neal.caidin at apereo.org