[sakai-pmc] Dashboard inclusion in trunk

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Jun 10 11:37:56 PDT 2014

I also agree that dashboard is important to Sakai's future, while also
acknowledging that there are still some issues that should be fixed prior
to the release of 11.Though  I am +1 for the inclusion in 11 and believe
that if it gets out there and more people run it, then the priorities of
these issues will be set and patches will be supplied or fixes applied
prior to the release of 11. We have at least a year to work on that, so not
technically tomorrow. ;)

It looks like it has a translation file for Spanish and not too many
strings that would need to be translated.
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/dashboard/trunk/bundles/resources/

One of the ones that would become critical (but isn't yet and I don't see
an issue for) is that after you start it up once (with auto.ddl=true) the
database tables are created, but future runs will cause an SQL Exception as
it doesn't use an ORM or library to manage migration. Schools (like
Michigan) that are running it in production now might not be running with
auto.ddl off, but future installations will for sure run into this.
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/DASH-313 I saw it when I was adding in
a new table a few months ago, that used hibernate to do the ddl for that
table.