[sakai-pmc] Facebook: Sakai Project Group

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Thu Feb 13 09:23:59 PST 2014

> Noah: I guess I was keying in on Neal's suggestion that there be a Page. To me, a Page should be newswire-style . . . .

If a page, the news-wire approach needs to be something more than infrequent release-related announcements or cross-posted Apereo news.  The flow of info should resemble what Instructure makes available on its page: pointers to interesting pedagogical discussions, ed tech musings, alerts regarding upcoming webinars, adopter stories, etc. [1]  If the content is something less than this then, in my view, it's not worth maintaining a Facebook presence.  If it is worth doing then it's going to take something more than a casual effort to keep the content fresh, relevant and flowing.  And it might just make more sense to direct what energies can be harnessed to enlivening the Apereo page than attempt to maintain a sakaiproject page [2].

> Neal: Just my opinion at the moment. I like the crowdsourcing concept in a lot of ways. Not sure it is best for dissemination of news.

Given competing responsibilities, it's unclear to me how local Sakai stories will be surfaced and disseminated without crowd sourcing the roles of journalist and reporter to community contributors.

> Noah: Really, any configuration works for me because I'm not the ultimate producer or consumer in this scenario.

Me neither.  I'm no fan of Facebook and do not plan to contribute time to maintaining either a group or a page.  That said, those who think a Facebook presence important should not be deterred by my dislike of the platform.

Cheers,

Anth

[1] https://www.facebook.com/instructure  (4,394 likes)
[2] https://www.facebook.com/apereo (89 likes)