[sakai-pmc] Summary of today's Sakai Release team meeting

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Feb 6 14:08:25 PST 2014

[ to sakai-pmc and Sakai release team]

Summary of today's release call [1] :
* We would like to proceed with branching Sakai 10 as soon as possible.
The main to-dos before branching are to make Elastic Search the default
search tool and the to-do's outlined by Anthony in his email, which are :

TODO for contrib tools Signup Tool, Delegated Access, and Roster2 ...
plus dependencies [copy/pasted from Anth's email]
1.  Migrate projects from contrib to core (svnadmin dump, retain history)
2.  Update <scm> paths once projects are in core  - Anthony
3.  Fold Jira contrib projects into SAK - Anthony

* Matt Jones is investigating TODO #1  .

* AsahiNet is working on the Elastic Search default issue [2].

* Neal will send out a lazy consensus proposal outlining the plan to
proceed with Sakai 10 branching to the sakai-dev list .

* We reviewed the rest of the blockers, the ones we did not review on
the meeting last week. The team noted that we have a bit of a
categorization problem in Jira. In an ideal scenario, anything assigned
a priority of blocker, would be a true blocker for the release. But that
is not the case. Today we used a combination of demoting some items to
critical, using labels on some blockers to make it clear that they
should not hold up Sakai 10, and leaving some as blockers for now,
recognizing that while we would like them to get done for Sakai 10, they
might not truly block the release. A fraction of the issues seem to be
true blockers, for which we would not release Sakai 10.  Note: We should
be thinking of ways of cleaning up how we manage blocker/criticals in a
more consistent way (maybe a topic for a Community Coordinator/PMC
discussion?).

* We still need to identify Sakai 10 branch managers. Any volunteers?
Once we have Sakai 10 branch managers, Sakai 2.9.x seems likely only to
receive critical patches unless some folks from the community stand up
and volunteer. We would need a critical mass of qa testers and branch
managers for merging and bug fixers to have a 2.9.x community supported
release beyond 2.9.3 . At the moment, I'm not aware of such critical
mass for 2.9.x .

* Edia Skin manager did not make it into Sakai 10, but there is
potential it could make it into a Sakai 10.x or Sakai 11.

* Kind of a minor note: I mentioned on the call that I think we need a
change process so that if after branching some feature emerges as a
candidate for Sakai 10.0, now that the scope is frozen, there is a way
someone could propose the feature be added and the Sakai Release team
and/or PMC could evaluate the risk/benefits and any potential impact to
the schedule to make a determination. By default, there would be no new
items, but we know from experience that this does happen sometimes, so
it would be good to be prepared. 2 cents.

[1] Release team notes - http://etherpad.ctools.org/rmmt-2014-02-06

[2] https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SRCH-130

Thanks,
Neal