[sakai-pmc] Github migration

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Aug 27 15:18:22 PDT 2014

I think that moving to git will just be a different model than we have now.

Now we've always had trunk be the "wild west" and anyone with trunk where
anyone with commit can commit almost whatever they want (at most times) and
it will appear every 4 hours on nightly. Moving to any typical git model,
this won't happen as most likely the pool of those who can perform merges
would be smaller and master would (ideally) only contain pull requests that
have been verified by someone who isn't the committer. This is kind of like
how our branches (10.x) work now.

In this model they have a development branch that has a lot of work going
on but not very much in master

So I think our biggest problem will be how are we able to see/demo the
latest and greatest work in progress changes in development if we are
working on it in our personal user accounts. How will someone be able to
test it so they can do the pull request? It seems like there would have to
be some branch (either develop/master/whatever) that is always updated like
trunk and is more accepting of pull requests. (Maybe even to the point of
being nearly automatic)

I think everything else would be in the git svn crash course. :)
http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html