[sakai-pmc] Summary and Feedback - Sakai core team meeting - April 24 2014

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Apr 24 11:21:16 PDT 2014

[sakai-dev, sakai-core-team, sakai-pmc]

Hey all,

We had a meaty meeting today [1]. It went quite a bit over time but we
had some great discussions. Of course we want to hear from the community
on our discussions and especially on item "d", Cacheing status.

a) Subversion ALM - I am going to ask Wush to revert to the standard
Jira Subversion tab.

b) UVa (University of Virginia) opened some tickets with respect to the
Syllabus improvements in Sakai 10. We didn't see any blockers [2].
Discussion welcome (please make sure to include the sakai-dev list, at a
minimum).

c) OSP - there is one OSP ticket, which while not classified as a
blocker, there seemed to be consensus that we do want to get this fixed
for the Sakai 10 release [3]. Earle N. thinks he may have a patch for
this and is investigating.

d) Cacheing status - quite a bit of discussion on this set of Jiras
[4].  It seems like there is consensus that these changes are a big
benefit for the Sakai community. The question is focusing on whether
some existing caches should be deleted or not (alias callCache, rwiki
cache, citations), especially given how far along we are in the Sakai 10
release process (at QA06 and probably just one iteration away from a
Release candidate).

Feedback requested - To move forward the suggestion is that we document
which caches are to be removed and we gather some stats from around the
community and have the community have the final say. If the stats show
that the caches are detrimental, remove them, otherwise we might need to
keep them for now.

e) LTI merge from trunk [5] - the LTI version in trunk and in Sakai
branch are both LTI 2.  However, the consensus seems to be that the
version in trunk has had more testing. The proposal is to use the trunk
version and move it into Sakai 10.0-qa07.  The most likely impact seems
like it will be to the Lessons tool. Chuck Hedrick is going to
investigate the trunk version of LTI with Lessons and post his findings.
If they are positive we plan to proceed.

f) QA07 schedule - the plan is to release QA07 the week of May 5 - 9.
As a pre-requisite, at our next Sakai core team meeting, we will be
reviewing outstanding issues that need QA testing and some issues in the
blocker/critical unresolved list to make sure we have accounted for all
blockers (which should be a given) and consider other important fixes we
need to get in. Plus, as you can see above, we want to have time to get
OSP, Cacheing, and LTI resolved. (In addition I think there may be a
little work left in audio recording and online help, which are both
really cool btw. I mean, of course cacheing is cool, but I'm guessing
that users aren't going to ooh and aah over it ;-) ) [6]

[1] Sakai Core team meeting, April 24, 2014 -
http://etherpad.ctools.org/p/rmmt-2014-04-24

[2] UVa Syllabus jiras -

[3] OSP issue https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-26002

[4] Cacheing jiras -
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1162 - parent, ready for merge
(just FYI)
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-295
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1229
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1225 - please review

[5] LTI trunk into Sakai 10 branch -

[6] Other cool stuff - Audio recording is a feature in CK editor;
replacement audio recording HTML 5 to decommission Java applet; and new
online help documentation which includes images.

--
Neal Caidin
Sakai Community Coordinator
neal.caidin at apereo.org