[sakai-pmc] [Building Sakai] Re-proposing - Edia skin manager for Sakai 10

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 12:55:54 PST 2013

I have performed a bit of a code review and have identified a couple of
issues that will need to be resolved.

1. Trunk build fails:

ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.codehaus.mojo:license-maven-plugin:1.5:check-file-header (default) on
project edia-sakai-skinmanager: Execution default of goal
org.codehaus.mojo:license-maven-plugin:1.5:check-file-header failed: Plugin
org.codehaus.mojo:license-maven-plugin:1.5 or one of its dependencies could
not be resolved: Failure to find org.sakaiproject.license:ecl-2:jar:1.0 in
http://source.sakaiproject.org/maven2 was cached in the local repository,
resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of Sakai
Plugin Repo has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

2. There don't appear to be any database indexes on the tables it creates.

3. The app performs SQL queries outside of its own tables (ie select from
sakai_site). I doubt the sakai_site schema will change but this is
something to be aware of.

4. The POMs list the Edia maven repo. This is because the app requires
edia-sakai-utils which is a separate project. It is in SVN as a separate
module. This will need to have something done with it. We also don't want
to depend on additional repositories as we have worked to remove them.

5. The edia-sakai-utils library is copyright to Edia so if this was to be
pulled into core it will need to have its license changed as well.

<dependency>
      <groupId>nl.edia</groupId>
      <artifactId>edia-sakai-utils</artifactId>
    </dependency>

I have not performed any review of the util library. I don't think its
acceptable that because a project depends on other libraries that they are
also pulled into the Sakai source. If this library was deployed to Maven
central as a binary, that would be fine.

6. The shared-deploy/pom.xml deploys jstl and taglib deps to shared. This
will need to be refactored as required.

7. The tool description for skin selector will need to be made generic,
currently it is 'Skin Selector by Edia Educatie Technologie (
http://www.edia.nl)'

8. The tool description for skin manager will need to be made generic,
currently it is 'Skin Manager by Edia Educatie Technologie (
http://www.edia.nl)'

9. Some buttons are hardcoded (ie Yes, No).

Because of these issues, I am reluctantly voting -1. If these can be
resolved then I will happily change my vote.

I also request that the discussion period on this tool be extended to give
others input on my findings.

regards,
Steve