[sakai-pmc] Proposal to amend PMC bylways regarding term of election

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Thu Dec 19 13:49:46 PST 2013

OVERVIEW: The six month rotating chair rule inherited from TCC practice
specifies too short a time period between elections to ensure effective
continuity in office for members elected to serve a committee now
responsible for oversight of the Sakai project within a broader Apereo
community. The rule results in the PMC chair and vice-chair rotating too
often and results in too much time spent on elections. The frequency of
rotations between chairs also complicates communications between the PMC
and other bodies (Foundation director, conference planning, licensing, etc)
and contributes to a perception of instability within the committee.

PROPOSAL:  I propose we extend the term of office to one year per Apache
PMC protocol, with the term ending on the last day of the month of the
primary Apereo Conference (or June 30 if there is no primary conference).

Specifically, I propose we strike this language:

*Rotating position. Elected by simple majority vote of membership unless
replaced by vice-chair according to order of succession described below.
Term: 6 months [1]*

And replace it with this text taken from the Apache bylaws section 6.4:

*Each officer shall hold office for a period of one year or until his or
her successor is elected and qualified or until his or her earlier
resignation or removal. [2]*

Amending the PMC governance rules will require a roll call vote of the
membership.  I request that the chair schedule a vote.

[1] Section 1.2, https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PMC/Governance
[2] Section 6.4, http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html