[sakai-pmc] Incubation questions

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 15:12:10 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Anthony Whyte <arwhyte at umich.edu> wrote:

> The incubation process to which you refer makes sense for projects or
> communities who wish to be recognized as a top-level Apereo project or
> community.  [1]  Sakai modules such as roster2, the skin manager or the
> signup tool are not in the same category and to conflate such small "p"
> projects with top-level candidates is not helpful in assessing what we
> should be doing from a process perspective.

Both can be accommodated. For instance, all portlets bundled with uPortal
have been through incubation so that all of the checks can be done before
they are accepted. Portlets == Sakai tools/modules.

> In my opinion, we are perfectly capable of handling such reviews in house.

I agree, this can be done in house. But with lazy consensus on a proposal
for a promotion from contrib to core, if no one looks at it and checks
things like licensing (including licensing on all dependencies),
internationalisation, accessiblity, viability of the UI framework,
information about installation/configuration, support going forward etc,
then things will slip in that we don't want. I'm just about to go and
review some of the recent proposals to make sure the basics are there.

> What I'd like to see from Steve or any other Sakai contributor is a review
> proposal for new Sakai capabilities that is lightweight, "right-sized" for
> the target capability in question, and capable of being executed by Sakai
> contributors without resort to the IWG, an IWG-appointed Mentor or
> ultimately the Sakai Board.

Sure, and what I have always referred to in the lightweight process is a
checklist to ensure everything is in order. I have mentioned the old tool
scorecard many times before:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SCORE/Tool+Status+Requirements

I don't think it would take much to create a page on the PMC confluence
space that collects the requirements we are interested in. In doing so, we
can borrow some ideas from the old Jasig process (see the checklist style
items at Section 3):
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/INCU/Incubation+Process

Would PMC people be open to that? I would be happy to lead the development
of the checklist that people can use.

cheers,
Steve