[sakai-pmc] PROPOSAL: svn cleanup

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Tue Dec 10 13:24:53 PST 2013

> Seth: Is this a -1 to the whole proposal or just specific parts? We have historically moved projects that are deprecated, but haven't for some time (see the existing contrib/deprecated folder). This brings us up to date with that practice.

The practice to which Steve refers to above is long dead.  We deliberately stopped moving projects dropped from the core distribution to contrib long ago because doing so wasted good time better spent elsewhere.

I'd rather see this proposal dropped in favor of one that repoints Steve's clean up energies towards migrating contrib projects deemed useful to Github (as Adrian Fish has done for Clog and Yaft) and ensuring that they build against 10.  This would help prepare the way for a more general proposal aimed at shifting current development (i.e., Sakai trunk) to Git and Github sometime during the summer of 2014.

> I like the /svn/deprecated option

I am not a fan of svn/deprecated.  In theory, a capability could be dropped from the core distribution and yet continue to be maintained by a segment of the community.  It would be misleading to label such projects as deprecated by pushing it into svn/deprecated if there are organizations willing to maintain the code.

Linktool is one such example.  Out of the build for 10+; alive and kicking for 2.9 and earlier.  I expect Rutgers will continue to maintain linktool for some time.

> Cris: The only ones are hybrid and pure-poms so in the interest of simplicity, those will be dropped from this proposal and can be moved when 2.9 becomes unsupported. I dislike updating tags - if there is another 2.9 release they could possibly be adjusted then.

Linktool is another.

anthony whyte | its and mlibrary | university of michigan | arwhyte at umich.edu | 517-980-0228