[sakai-mobile] Status of Project Keitai

Johnson,Douglas F wanderer at ufl.edu
Tue Dec 3 14:16:45 PST 2013

Greetings Jaco (and everyone else)!

You are correct that I have been very remiss in updating both the Project Keitai site and the members of this list on where things stand. Let me address that now.

As was mentioned at the Summer Apereo Conference, Phase I of Project Keitai is complete. Specifically, all core tools plus Melete and the new Lesson Builder tool have been mobile enabled. The mobile code updates  have been submitted for each tool, along with appropriate documentation, and we are now in discussion regarding rolling this code into an upcoming Sakai Build. Specifically, we are deciding whether to incorporate the mobile code into an upcoming 2.9.x release or in the Sakai 10 release (note the renaming decision from "Sakai 2.10"). In either case, schools can now download and implement mobile-enabled Sakai tools on a tool-by-tool basis if you choose.

I should note that Phase 1 encompasses "read" capabilities and limited "write" capability. As many of you will recognize, I am presenting the term "write" in quotes because the "write" function is not just "writing" (i.e. text entry) but also submitting test questions and assignments, as we as other functions that requiring pushing data to Sakai.

Phase 2, or mobile-enabling "write" functions (and incorporating the Contrib tool Mneme), has turned out to be more complicated than originally anticipated; which is not really surprising. As a result, I am preparing to begin another round of fund/resource raising for this [Note that this is a tactful way of warning you ahead of time that I will be asking all of you to consider contributing money and/or development resources to the extent you can].

The biggest delay at this time has been writing up the "business requirements" for write capabilities; i.e. what is it that faculty and students need to do with each tool in terms of posting, writing, uploading, submitting, etc.? This requirements list will guide the developers as they write the appropriate code. For example, I think it is clear that students need to be able to take (submit answers to) quizzes/tests in both Samigo and Mneme; but do instructors need to be able to create quizzes on their cell phones? I'm inclined to suggest no; though I think instructors certainly need the ability to publish a quiz and edit quiz settings on the fly. Of course, that requirements list will also enable the development team to estimate costs which will then be addressed by the fund raising ...

So that's where things stand at the moment. Expect to hear more about Project Keitai soon.

"Forth, and fear no darkness!"

Doug

Douglas F. Johnson, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Learning Services