[sakai-mobile] Mobile Sakai at Jasig-Sakai Atlanta

Johnson,Douglas F wanderer at ufl.edu
Tue May 22 07:46:16 PDT 2012

Greetings All!

It is long past time for me to crawl back out from under my rock. Please accept my apologies for my long silence and therefore lack of progress on the Mobile Sakai Initiative. This has been a revoltingly busy few months.

That being said, I have worked with Ian Dolphin and the Jasig-Sakai conference planning team to carve out some time for mobile planning and programming; so allow me to announce the:

Sakai Mobile Programming Marathon           Tuesday, 12 June  |  10:30am - 5:00pm  |  Tower 1407.
This program will be an opportunity for mobile programmers to identify a strategy and key priorities for the Mobile Sakai project and to begin working in teams, to establish ongoing collaborations for moving the mobile project toward completion. Previously suggested work teams include, but are not limited to:

*          Data  What data? How to move data to and from mobile devices? Most likely focusing on Entity Broker

*         Authentication & security  OAuth/Shibboleth; addressing  security on mobile devices, two factor authentication?
*      Services  Identifying. prioritizing Sakai tools to work in the mobile environment; identifying necessary and
           desired components to mobilize

*         Interface  UI/UX

*         OEA  Defining a-d above for OAE

You will notice that the 5 key areas for work are the five development areas I suggested earlier (i.e. November, 2011). Of course, we are not limited to that structure and, in fact, John Norman had at one time suggested we consider thinking in terms of:

     - The project that is about providing data extracts that fit into a campus-wide initiative to get data to phones
     - The project that is about providing a full Sakai learning experience on a larger device like a tablet

This is, I think, a valid and important framing of this mobile initiative.

Of course, I know many schools have continued with their own mobile projects and I am thinking that stepping back, updating each other, and re-considering the best bath forward is in order. Therefore, in addition to the Programming Marathon, I have gotten a time slot on Monday the 11th (3:45 PM - 4:45 PM | Conference Center Room 3) for an update on the Mobile Sakai Initiative - and this might be a good opportunity to think about and plan how best to use the Programming Marathon.

So I'd like to suggest as many of us as possible participate in that Monday session to discuss direction and define some next steps and objectives for the Marathon the following day. On Tuesday, the Marathon might start with some "Show & Tell" to update each other on key work done by various institutions/organizations that should be considered in the context of mobilizing Sakai. For example, JASIG has uMobile, Oxford has done some important work on OAuth, Indiana has done important work using Entity Broker, and so on. We can then hopefully clarify and direction, coordinate effort, and begin making use of the rest of the day - for those who are inclined to do so - for actual work.

All this being said, I'd like to open the floor via this email to start the updating/planning conversation now. Obviously, the more we can pin down ahead of the conference, the easier it will be both to make some actual progress in June in Atlanta but also to collaborate with people not attending the conference who may nonetheless be willing to join Tuesday's work from a distance.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Peace,

Doug

Douglas F. Johnson, Ph.D.
Assistant Director for Learning Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Florida
Hub 132 | 01.352.392.4357