[Building Sakai] Problem with CKEditor Server Browser (Sakai 10.4) and IE11

Sean Horner hornersa at plu.edu
Tue Mar 24 17:06:32 PDT 2015

For a local instance of Sakai 10.4 browsed with Internet Explorer 11
(version 11.0.9600.17691 on Windows 7), I am consistently encountering a
Javascript error via the following steps:

   1. As an instructor on a Lessons page, add or edit a text item to launch
   the CKEditor.
   2. Type and highlight some text and click the Link button to make a
   hyperlink.
   3. In the Link popup dialog click the Browse Server button.
   4. In the Server Browser popup window, click the link of an item already
   stored in Resources

The last step yields a Javascript error which blocks the closing of the
Server Browser window and the creation of a link. According to IE's F12
Developer Tools, the error is:

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get property 'CKEDITOR' of undefined or null reference
File: frmresourceslist.html, Line: 173, Column 9

Interestingly, this problem does not occur for the same conditions with
Sakai 10.x instance on nightly2.sakaiproject.org. Currently, I don't
observe any difference in reference/library/src/webapp/editor code between
10.4 and 10.x. Is the 10.x instance on the nightly server built with
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/reference/branches/sakai-10.x/?

Aware that "IE Emulate" properties should likely be asserted, I have
attempted all combinations of setting and commenting out the following
properties, while careful to both restart Sakai and clear IE's browser
cache with each attempt. Nevertheless, I still get the same Javascript
error.

# Supposed to be the default for Sakai 10
sakai.X-UA-Compatible=IE=EmulateIE11

# The following pair I have both set and commented out
response.headers.count=1
response.headers.1=X-UA-Compatible::IE=EmulateIE11

How are properties these configured on the nightly server? Are there other
related sakai.properties I should be setting?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can share.

Sean

P.S. The following JIRAs are related but do not seem to address the
specific problem I am seeing:

Sean Horner
Web Application Developer
Pacific Lutheran University