[Building Sakai] External Tool Question

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Fri Jan 9 14:22:15 PST 2015

I will add to what Sam said about the key.

I *hope* that you are not trusting the tool_consumer_instance_guid value without viewing it through the key.

The *only* thing that you should trust is the key and all should flow from that.  You might for example create a key and know in your system that launches with that key are guaranteed to provide a trustable value of tool_consumer_instance_guid .

You might be OK trusting tool_consumer_instance_guid when you give a key to a multi-tennant instance of D2L or Canvas and use the TCIG to figure out which tenant you are dealing within that multi-tennant LMS.

But if you are looking at the TCIG as trusted and unspoofable information - you are opening yourself up to bad security holes - because that is trivial to spoof.

All of these values can be set by a Sakai admin in their sakai.properties - but they can set them to any value they like.

/Chuck