[Building Sakai] Course sites getting unexpected sakai.iframe.site

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 15:39:42 PST 2015

No, but I found out what was going on and devised a solution.

sakai.iframe.site is automatically added to any site whenever a tool is
added or removed via the web interface. It's only because we were doing
things via the API that sakai.iframe.site was not in there. This situation
gave rise to undesirable behavior: sakai.iframe.site would be added when a
user is manipulating some other tool. It had the appearance of an
uncommanded side effect. Also, since we already had sakai.iframe on the
site's home page, the site would appear to have duplicated info boxes.

I interpret this to mean that sakai.iframe.site is intended to be the
default info box for all sites, whereas sakai.iframe is for more general
applications. We were using sakai.iframe for the site's primary info box,
which is not the scenario the developers envisioned.

The solution was for our process to use sakai.iframe.site instead. This
brings our usage in line with the intended scenario.

At the same time I was looking into this, I found something similar going
on with "synoptic" tools. Some tools, such as Chat, have both a primary and
a synoptic tool. When you add the Chat tool via the web interface, its
associated synoptic tool is also added to the site's home page. However, if
you add it via the API, its synoptic tool is not added. But if you later
change some tools via the web interface, any missing synoptic tools are
automatically added then.

The solution for this was to make sure we were adding all associated
synoptic tools at the same time as the primary tools.

Josh