[Building Sakai] IMS Content Item

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Tue Feb 17 11:25:53 PST 2015

On Feb 13, 2015, at 4:41 AM, Adam Marshall <adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Chuck (or other),
>
> Do you have a an article that explains the power of IMS Content Items? It would be useful for me to visualise the full scope of what could potentially be achieved.
>
> 'dam

IMS Content Item is basically a web-based resource picker.  You are in the LMS in some dialog where you are going to insert something like a tool.

With IMS Content item - you launch into a separate tool - wander around the tool and then "pick" something in that external tool.  The external tool sends a POST request back to the LMS indicating what URL was "picked" for insertion into Lessons or The Rich Text Editor.

Here is a little video of me making the Canvas variant (not the IMS variant) with Tsugi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd6RhpHUdws&list=PLlRFEj9H3Oj5WZUjVjTJVBN18ozYSWMhw&index=5

Unfortunately there is a small bug in Canvas so what I show in the video works great - but if the placed tool needs to send back grades it has problems.   But that is in the process of being fixed in Canvas.

When I get some free time and the IMS spec settles down - it could easily be added to Sakai.

/Chuck