[Building Sakai] Sakai - User Type

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Feb 10 16:18:22 PST 2015

Users in Sakai are assigned a role on their user type (in the
SAKAI_USER->type) column which is free form and can be anything. Default
roles are generally something like guest or registered and these map up to
special default realms. If there is a provider the provider can provide the
roles. This is the method in the api is getType on the User Object.

In a Site context the user also has a role. In a Course site, example roles
are Student and Instructor. In a project site examples roles are maintain
and access. I believe this is the getUserRole on BaseSite.

Because it's possible for a student to also be an instructor (in the case
of graduate teaching assistants) there's often overall no definitive answer
for how to distinguish a student or instructor, only at the individual site
level.

https://javadocs.nightly.sakaiproject.org/