[Building Sakai] Leadership for Morpheus Effort

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Fri Apr 3 09:24:39 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I want to give you a quick update on the Morpheus project.   As you all know, the iframe-free responsive Morpheus portal is the default and only portal in the current trunk of Sakai (i.e. Sakai-11).  This is a tremendous step forward and will give Sakai-11 the best LMS user experience in the industry.

We owe a great debt of gratitude to Mark Reilly and New York University for the leadership and significant resources that have been dedicated to this effort for well over a year.

But many of you might already know that Mark Reilly has left NYU and is no longer working in the edtech industry.  He remains on this list (Hi Mark!) but will not have time to be our leader to continue to improve and evolve Morpheus and the rest of the Sakai tools to become responsive across the board.

We are fortunate to already have new leadership that is ready to pick up where Mark left us and take us to the next level.   While we all are responsible for moving the Sakai user experience forward together it is especially important to have clear leadership in the areas of UI/UX that can listen to all the ideas in the community and find a "middle path" through all of those ideas and produce a consistent, beautiful, and functional user experience.

These are the folks who have volunteered to make a significant long term effort for Morpheus and the rest of the UI/UX of Sakai:

Eduardo Rey Jara (University of Murcia)
Juan Jose Merono Sanchez  (University of Murcia)

Udaya Ghattamaneni (Marist)
Antoni Sousa (Marist)

There are already plans for a webinar on Morpheus and work / ideas are already in process for evolving Morpheus over the next month or so.

So join me in welcoming our new UI/UX leadership.

Charles Severance
Sakai PMC Chair