[Building Sakai] Spring 3 REST features in Sakai 2.9

Curtis Van-Osch curtis.van-osch at hec.ca
Tue Sep 30 12:37:43 PDT 2014

Hi,
We're in the planning stages of rewriting one of our Sakai tools
(OpenSyllabus), and want to use RESTful web services for the back-end
with a JavaScript front-end client.  We are hoping to deploy this new
version before upgrading to Sakai 10. I've been looking at using Spring
to implement the back-end to avoid adding another dependency on Jersey
or anything else.

I see that Spring 3 includes comprehensive REST support.  Is there any
way we could take advantage of these new features in Sakai 2.9?
I'm assuming it would not be feasible for our tool to inject services
from other tools if their Spring versions differ (i.e. Spring 3 for our
tool and the rest using Spring 2.5.6).  Maybe we could patch our
installation to get everything on Spring 3 (KNL-517), though it sounds
like a lot of work/testing that will be pointless after we upgrade.

The last option would be to avoid the new features of Spring 3 and just
stick with 2.5.6 until we upgrade.  I'm sure it's doable, but I'm still
researching how exactly that would limit us (looks like some annotations
where added, and maybe some data conversion).

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

--
<http://www.hec.ca>

Curtis Van Osch
Analyste-Programmeur
Service de développement de systèmes d'information
hec.ca <http://www.hec.ca>
Agréments
3000, chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine, Montréal (Québec) H3T 2A7
Téléphone : 514 340-6000, poste 2029

recyclez
Pensons à l'environnement
avant d'imprimer