[Building Sakai] SiteCache is not alive

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Thu Sep 18 11:31:54 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Ryan VanDyke <
ryan.vandyke at kratosdefense.com> wrote:

> Must be bad luck. I had everything working with mysql, compiled source,
> etc and have been using it for days with no issues. Only now did I shutdown
> and startup Tomcat again did I start getting these cacheNotAlive errors
> once more.

The cache errors are most likely a symptom and not a cause.  You need to
look further up in your catalina.out to find out what really failed and
caused startup to not succeed.  If anyone posts their full catalina.out
somewhere accessible, I'm happy to look, but the cache errors are most
likely not your real problem.

> As I have not touched any of the code or manually touched any data in the
> database I can only assume there is a problem with one of the core tools in
> Sakai 10.1 which is corrupting data somehow. I was able to fix the problem
> only through dropping the MySQL 'sakai' database schema and creating a new
> one from scratch. The log snippet at the end of this email shows the first
> instance in the tomcat log of a warning occurring (skipping past the few
> "table already exists" warnings) and its database related. Several more
> occur after this. Is this hibernate.id.Generator producing keys too large
> to be stored?

No

> Its mentioned as the problem being "mostly harmless" but unless there is a
> fix aside from dropping an entire database I would disagree.

The key error is also not your problem.