[Building Sakai] Web Services for Site removal.

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Oct 20 08:25:28 PDT 2014

Well, even with "soft delete" if you delete something twice it will delete
it. However in many Sakai tools, if you delete something it doesn't delete
the references to everything else. So there's kind of a
- "soft delete" = mark for deletion (New feature for sites/content in 10)
KNL-974/KNL-309
- "normal delete" - only delete that specific thing, typical Sakai behavior
- "hard/full delete" - which is meant to be delete that thing and
everything related to that thing (partially implemented in 11 - KNL-1252)

Like if you remove a user from a site it doesn't remove all of the users
forum posts and assignment submissions.
Or if you remove a site from the system, it doesn't remove all of the
assignments and resources associated with the site.

There's no referential integrity on the database between tables or enforced
via deletion.

The idea for "hard delete" is that there could be, for schools that wanted
it a way for when sites were deleted to really delete everything.