[Building Sakai] MySQL Error on upgrade script for version 2.9 to version 10

James Scoble scoble.james at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 04:16:55 PST 2014

Hi folks
In the script to upgrade the database to version 10, the following entry is
found:

-- ------------------------
--
-- SAK-23812 Peer Review feature for Assignments
--

CREATE TABLE ASN_PEER_ASSESSMENT_ITEM_T  (
    SUBMISSION_ID       varchar(255) NOT NULL,

create index PEER_ASSESSOR_I on ASN_PEER_ASSESSMENT_ITEM_T (SUBMISSION_ID,
ASSESSOR_USER_ID);
create index PEER_ASSESSOR2_I on ASN_PEER_ASSESSMENT_ITEM_T (ASSIGNMENT_ID,
ASSESSOR_USER_ID);

-- --------------------
--
-- END SAK-23812 Peer Review feature for Assignments
--

When I try to run this, I get the following error:

#1071 - Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

This seems to be based on the varchar length - I'm guessing UTF-8 chars
take up more than one byte.
How have others worked around this problem?

regards
James