[Building Sakai] Monitoring Samigo in a big test

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Fri May 23 04:34:53 PDT 2014

Hi everybody.

Time ago, we had a system crash while one Samigo test was being made by
250+ users. System memory was filled up and our production environment
gradually slowed down until it crashed.

This happened after using the audio recorder applet, when users uploaded
the recorded file all at the same time. After a reboot, another part of
the exam with other kind of questions also produced the same system
slowness and halt.

We use Samigo 2.9.2 on Sakai 2.9.2 and the system which collapsed had
the next configuration (1). Now we have extended that system to this one
(2).

And soon we are going to have another test with a high number of users.
We plan to monitor that test and try to look into the results to find
what has happened in case it fails. Or maybe send these results to the
list so other more expert users can have a look on it.

We are going to use YourKit to store the JVM internal use and JConsole
to watch memory and CPU usage. If somebody can provide some advice about
other tools or procedures that we could use to have better and more
useful results, we would be very grateful.

Of course, if our configuration has any bottleneck or if any work has
been done on this performance topic in Samigo's code, I would like to
know in order to fix it here if I can.

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards.

-------------------------------

(1) 1 active Tomcat.

Processor:
http://ark.intel.com/products/27219/Intel-Xeon-Processor-5160-4M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB?wapkw=5160

JAVA_OPTS: '-server -d64 -Xms10000m -Xmx10000m -XX:PermSize=512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dhttp.agent=Sakai
-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false
-Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true -Duser.language=es
-Duser.region=ES -Dsakai.cookieName=SAKAISESSIONID
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent
-XX:+CMSIncrementalMode'

(2) 2 active Tomcat.

Processor 1:
http://ark.intel.com/products/27219/Intel-Xeon-Processor-5160-4M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB?wapkw=5160

Processor 2:
http://ark.intel.com/products/52583/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5606-8M-Cache-2_13-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

JAVA_OPTS: '-server -d64 -Xms11000m -Xmx11000m -Xmn3g -XX:PermSize=512m

--
Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de E-learning - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.