[Building Sakai] unchoosable groups

Diego del Blanco Orobitg diego.delblanco.sakai at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 10:08:28 PDT 2014

Hi Charles... this is a very, very requested feature about the lessons
groups behavior. There are a lot of people asking for hiding these groups.

How to do it... I don't know the best approach, but I'm sure this will make
a lot of people happy!

Thanks!

> I think the concept of hidden groups is a feature that should be added to
> the group settings page.  Just add a simple checkbox to make the group
> hidden or not by a group property (not "lessonbuild_ref", but something
> more generic) plus a new realm permission like "groups.view.hidden".  One
> difference I would make is having hidden groups still selectable if you
> have the "groups.view.hidden" permission.  For instance, msgcntr added an
> internal hidden groups feature that was to address some FERPA concerns
>  This allows instructors to send messages to these groups while preventing
> students in the class from seeing that these groups exist.  However, the
> "hidden groups" values were tracked in msgcntr, so it wasn't applicable for
> other tools.  It'd be nice to have one central place to set a hidden flag
> for a group, especially since "hidden groups" is already a feature for
> msgcntr in Sakai.
>
> -Bryan
>

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Charles Hedrick <hedrick at rutgers.edu>wrote:
>
>> Lessons uses groups to control release of tests, assignments and forum
>> topics. This is used to a kind of conditional release, though the
>> situations used are different than those in the actual conditional release
>> code. Some users object to seeing these groups in "manage groups" and in
>> group-aware tools. The format of the group name is "Access: <assignment
>> name>" though that can now be changed in messages.properties.
>>
>> I can make groups not appear in Mange Groups by omitting the
>> group_prop_wsetup_created property. But it still appears in group-aware
>> tools.
>>
>> I am reluctant to do this change at all, since hiding these groups would
>> make difficulties hard to diagnose, but if someone wants it, the most
>> practical approach seems to be another group property, which would make the
>> groups not choosable in group-aware tools. I don't want to make them
>> completely invisible, since someone looking at a test should probably be
>> able to see that release is controlled by Lessons. Does it make sense to
>> people to add an invisible group property, and supply patches for the
>> group-awrae tools? I'd make this a site.properties setting.
>>
>> (We do now set a group property anyway, "lessonbuilder_ref". So we really
>> only need patches to the group-aware tools to not show such groups with
>> this property set if a site.properties setting says not to.

*Diego del Blanco Orobitg*
Spain & LATAM Regional Manager (*ANI Sakai*)
Apereo LATAM Representative (*Apereo Foundation*)

P: (+34) 653 683 489
E: ddelblanco at anisakai.com
Sk: ddelblanco.ani