[Building Sakai] Email Template Service and Kernel

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Fri Mar 14 06:21:32 PDT 2014

There was an issue that came up that Matthew Buckett noticed that I think
should have some more attention so I'm putting it out here for some
feedback.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1202 - Kernel depends on email
template service.

The dependency came about from a commit in
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-24423, this change is in Sakai 10
as it was in before the cut over. (qa03) We had a discussion on the past in
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-484 about whether or not ETS
should be in kernel, with a few people agreeing. Though on this ticket
Matthew looks to be in disagreement from the comments and believes that it
should remain separate.

Any opinions on this? I believe that if we did add ETS service to kernel,
we'd still want the ETS tool to be left out, like how content is still
partially outside of kernel. Otherwise it seems like only way to resolve
this issue would be to revert
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-24423or rework that patch to
not send notifications from the kernel (It's doing
this in BaseSiteService).

I don't know even how big a deal it is anymore for monolithic Sakai. Is
there even an expectation that you should be able to build kernel without
building everything else? I think maybe kernel should still be a special
exception, though maybe not.