[Building Sakai] sakai 2.9.3 loading issue

Sanghyun Jeon euksa99 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 10:58:44 PST 2014

Hello

We upgrade sakai 2.9.3 with Tomcat7.0.42, Jdk1.7.0_40, and Maven 3.1.0
and notice the weird tomcat loading issue  as follows:

We have two app servers and each server has two tomcats with different port
number.
We also have one apache (ajp) proxy server (load balancer) in front of
these two app servers.

When we deploy both tomcats at the same time, loading the second tomcat
(either TomcatA or Tomcat B) takes more than 30 minutes and we also notice
that it got delayed at the same place:

2014-03-05 14:04:19.034 [INFO]
org.sakaiproject.email.impl.BasicEmailService:397 - init(): smtp:
sakaitest.aiso.claremont.edu bounces to:
postmaster at Sakaitest.AISO.Claremont.Edu maxRecipients: 100 testMode: false

INFO: [GenericDao] Could not execute first DDL line, skipping the rest:
StatementCallback; bad SQL grammar [CREATE TABLE ENTITY_PROPERTIES (
id            bigint(20) AUTO_INCREMENT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
entityRef       varchar(255) NOT NULL, entityPrefix    varchar(255) NOT
NULL, propertyName    varchar(255) NOT NULL, propertyValue   text NOT NULL,
INDEX (entityRef, entityPrefix, propertyName) )]; nested exception is
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table
'ENTITY_PROPERTIES' already
exists:com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table
'ENTITY_PROPERTIES' already exists

INFO: [GenericDao] Could not execute first DDL line, skipping the rest:
StatementCallback; bad SQL grammar [CREATE TABLE ENTITY_TAG_APPLICATIONS (
id            bigint(20) AUTO_INCREMENT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
entityRef       varchar(255) NOT NULL, entityPrefix    varchar(255) NOT
NULL, tag             varchar(255) NOT NULL, INDEX (entityRef,
entityPrefix, tag) )]; nested exception is
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table
'ENTITY_TAG_APPLICATIONS' already
exists:com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table
'ENTITY_TAG_APPLICATIONS' already exists

2014-03-05 14:48:32.713 [INFO]
org.sakaiproject.memory.impl.BasicMemoryService:167 - Added Cache name
[org.sakaiproject.user.api.UserDirectoryService.callCache] as Cache
[org.sakaiproject.user.api.UserDirectoryService.callCache]

2014-03-05 14:48:32.762 [INFO]
org.sakaiproject.user.impl.BaseUserDirectoryService:577 - init(): provider:
edu.amc.sakai.user.HMCJLDAPDirectoryProvider separateIdEid: true

after about 30 minutes later and it starts to deploy again. Looks like the
second one is waiting for free cache (INFO]
org.sakaiproject.memory.impl.BasicMemoryService:167 - Added Cache name
[org.sakaiproject.user.api.UserDirectoryService.callCache] ) so that we
tweak the JVM setting and the current JVM setting is as follows (each
server has 8 G):

export JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xms768m -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=256m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:NewSize=256m -XX:MaxNewSize=512m
-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dhttp.agent=Sakai
-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false
-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_WHITESPACE=false
-Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true
-Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true
 -Dsakai.security=/opt/sakai-cfg -Dsakai.home=/opt/sakai-cfg/tc2A"

However, we cannot resolve the issue and we don't have a chance to have a
load testing but we notice that the system is very slow.
 Can anybody have the same loading issue on Sakai 2.9.3? Please shed some
light on this issue and thank you.