[Building Sakai] Pesky Forums tool duplication bug

David P Bauer dbauer1 at udayton.edu
Tue Mar 4 06:53:12 PST 2014

I've been trying to fix a bug in the Forums tool where when a site is
duplicated, topics that have been organized in the original site are
randomly ordered in the new site. I've created a ticket
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-25828 that has steps to reproduce
the bug.

I know that the sort indexes for a topic are supposed to be duplicated as
evidenced in the *transferCopyEntitiesRefMigrator* method
*newTopic.setSortIndex(fromTopic.getSortIndex());*

The new topic's sort index gets set from the old topic and is correct all
the way up until the hibernate call to save the forum information
*getHibernateTemplate().saveOrUpdate(forum);* inside the
*saveDiscussionForum* method.

However, after that and upon returning to *transferCopyEntitiesRefMigrator* the
new topic's sort index is wrong.

I've been working on this bug for awhile now, but I'm unable to make any
more progress towards finding the root cause of the issue. Is there
something that I'm overlooking? Does anyone have any ideas or possible
solutions?

Thanks for the help,

David

--