[Building Sakai] Slow startup on Sakai 10

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 01:03:27 PST 2014

We've been working on moving to Sakai 10 and I've been noticing that
compared to our 2.8.x installation the Sakai 10 codebase takes much longer
to startup. My tomcat startup can regularly take 5 minutes when everything
is getting loaded. I hooked up YourKit and watched the startup (attached is
the CSV trace).

org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotations(Set, boolean)
is taking 60% of the startup time!!

Processing annotations is know to be slow and the recommendation from
Apache is that to improve startup speed some JARs/webapps are not scanned:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo/FasterStartUp

As most of the webapps were developed for servlet 2.4 I imagine that we
aren't using annotations very much so could probably disable scanning of
almost all webapps without any issue and get back to Sakai 2.8.x startup
times.

Has anyone else looked into this any more?

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford